The mission of Middle Way Acupuncture Institute is the preparation of competent and dedicated health care practitioners as acupuncture professionals.
In support of this mission MAI has the following goals (institutional objectives).
- To create an educational program with academic and clinical training leading to a Master’s Level Diploma in Acupuncture.
- To construct an educational program for working adults pursuing a career change as well as students preparing for an initial career.
- To develop a program that offers classes in different styles of acupuncture and demonstrates how those styles can be integrated.
- To provide highly qualified faculty and staff and appropriate student services necessary to facilitate the training of acupuncture professionals.
- To create community clinics to provide acupuncture services to the general public including low-cost clinics to treat underserved and/or economically disadvantaged populations.
- To design curriculum that equips students to inform their patients and the public about the benefits of acupuncture.
- To maintain a reasonably priced program that will meet the educational needs of the student population while allowing the school to operate as a profitable business.
Each of the goals addresses the foundational principles behind Middle Way Acupuncture Institute’s mission statement. The program seeks to educate students in the practice of acupuncture and to share the holistic spirit of East Asian medicine.
Our mission and goals have arisen out of the vision and values which follow.
MAI will be recognized for academic excellence, quality patient care, and leadership in wellness and integrative health care.
- We value graduating health care professionals who are competent and compassionate in both independent practice and integrated health care settings.
- We value an inclusive and empowering environment for our faculty, staff, alumni, and students.
- We value lifelong learning in our faculty, staff, alumni, and students.
- We value, honor, and encourage diversity and tolerance in all interactions with all our community members.
- We value supporting and serving our local communities.
- We value excellence in education.
- We value maintaining our reputation for honesty, integrity, and trustworthiness.
- We value preserving the core values of acupuncture by promoting practice standards that are widely accepted, while promoting innovation.
MAI’s Educational Objectives are measurable standards we expect students to attain by the time they complete the program. These objectives issue from the mission, goals, vision and values of MAI and direct its development of the curriculum.
Graduates of MAI will be able to
Demonstrate knowledge in various styles of practicing acupuncture and administer them appropriately for the benefit of the patient.
Evaluate patients’ needs and create effective treatment plans including suggestions for lifestyle changes that promote vitality and well-being.
Display a thorough understanding of diagnostic and assessment skills, including knowing when to refer.
Communicate in an organized and professional manner with both patients and other health care professionals.
Demonstrate an understanding of practice management skills, ethics and legal requirements.